SKBooks (IOBA)      Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association Independent Online Booksellers Assication

Historical Attractions:  Churches at Lebret

Email   Home     Browse Online Categories    Book Condition Definitions  

From the "CODEX HISTORICUS" of the Qu'Appelle Mission: Father J. Presque Magnan OMI (1928)
Transcribed by Father George C. Saloman OMI (1978).  Translated by: Lucien L. Bourret (1988)
Lebret Local History Book:  Mission to Lebret, 1865-1989, pp47

....commonly known as Qu'Appelle or "Mission du Lac Qu'Appelle" is certainly one of the most important Institutions in Western Canada.
Respecting pioneering, in the area of evangelization, it is certainly the first of all the territories located west of the Red River to be evangelized by the missionaries.[Catholic]  It was first visited personally by the Holy Founder of the Western church, Bishop Provencher, on his arrival in the Red River (1819) 110 years ago in (1928).
Respecting the establishment of the parish it was personally founded in 1865 by the great Archbishop Tache.
The cross on the hill, above Lebret had been placed there in 1865 by Tache.  A cross still remains in the approximate location.

Excerpts:  The Company of Adventurers:  A Narrative of Seven Years in the Service of the Hudson Bay Company During
1867-1874  by Isaac Cowie;   Published 1913. 
The Lovely Lakes pp 210(1867) ...Framed between the graceful, curving slopes of the long reaches of the deep wide valley, the Qu'Appelle River sweeps through its prairie lowlands in endless bends from slope to slope, glinting in silvern sheen through the greenery of its borders.
....and those of Alick and John Fisher on the lower lake, were the only buildings between Fort Qu'Appelle and Fort Ellice.
Appendix C(1873)......On the fishing lakes, above and below the fort, some twenty-five families of French Half-Breeds have established themselves as "habitants" on a small scale; ....This comparatively fixed community, in a land of nomadic hunters, is the result of the efforts of the Roman Catholic missionary, Rev. Father DeCorby, who has been stationed since 1868 on the lake below the Fort. [Lebret]



Church overlooking Lebret, with cross on hill (1865)
Sacred Heart Church at Lebret, Saskatchewan

Email   Home     Browse Online Categories    Qu'Appelle Valley Attractions      Book Condition Definitions  

Copyright SKBooks.ca